During the second week, I was involved in more teaching and assisting in the library, in contrast to the first week, where the main focus was on observations and getting immersed in the environment.
In my English 9 class, where I taught how to write an MLA formatted works cited page, the main idea I wanted to get through was that there is no need to memorize all the steps. These days, one should be able to utilize the internet to aid with recalling a procedure. I went through how to start from scratch, with no knowledge and learn how to cite properly by googling, and using available online tools to do citations automatically.
I also attended an interesting staff group meeting on Wednesday morning. The principals, IT teacher, and some other teachers were discussing the possibility of using a different electronic grade-book/attendance system to use next year and in following years. In public schools, this discussion would not exist since the higher-ups decide that all the schools use MyEd BC. It was interesting to learn about what features the teachers would want the grade-book to have, as well as the pros and cons of existing systems. Some of the main ideas was that teachers are moving away from using just mathematical formulas calculate the percentage each student should receive, but opt for a more detailed and personalized grading system. Also, the idea of whether or not to make the gradebook viewable to parents.
On Friday, I attended the Mother's Day school mass. The atmosphere was quite loving and welcoming, especially since today, we had many guests (mostly mothers of students) in attendance. The priest emphasized how we should behold each other, and take the moment to think about our loved ones. Overall, I think the mass had a calming effect, and the church was certainly very biblical and worshipful.
No comments:
Post a Comment